Saturday, June 11, 2011

Monday Comes Around

I don't think I know anybody who likes going to work. Maybe my dad, but that guy's a nut. Everyone else I know practically despises going to work. For most of us, work is the place that keeps us from doing all the other things we want to do, like being with friends or playing outside, or sleeping. Work is filled with people we don't exactly hate but don't exactly love, either. Work is the seemingly pointless, ever-frustrating distraction from the life we really want to be living. Work is the enemy.

Right now it's Saturday morning, and a part of me is already dreading that 5 AM alarm on Monday morning, drive to the shop, and 8-hour workday before I'll be allowed to come home again. But there's no getting out of it. I have to work. I have to pay rent and buy food and put gas in my car. So work owns me to some extent. And I think that's where the dread comes from: I feel enslaved to work when really I just want to do what I like doing. It's a pride thing. I want to rule my life, and I rebel when I encounter something that stakes a claim on the things I value: my time, my relationships, my stuff.

But you know what? I'm finding that there's a certain rhythm of life I tap into by going to work. I'm finding that I appreciate my free time more than I did before work started. I'm more productive in the hours that I'm home. I cherish the time I spend with my roommates more. It seems that work is establishing a kind of cadence to things in my life, like the beat of a good song: first the beat, then a pause. First this, then that. It's order that creates structure, which in turn creates beauty. You can't have a good beat without being on tempo, which requires a proper rhythm. Likewise, living well requires a well-ordered life. First work, then rest. First this, then that. Just like a song.

I don't think I'm ever going to hear that alarm at 5 AM and not want to punch something. But I'm learning to embrace work as something that connects me to life rather than keeps me from life. Just don't ask me to say that with a smile as I'm getting in my car at the buttcrack of dawn.


//

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting point of view! I'll have to remember this on Monday...(-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like work... Maybe I am a nut, but I feel like God has called me not only to the vocation of teaching, but also to this specific community and school to serve. I get excited about seeing the progress of my students, developing new programs for them, getting to spend time with them in the classroom, and I really try to develop my skills as a leader of my team, teacher in the classroom, and manager of my resources to better serve my school and students. I enjoy being the shoulder to lean on when other staff find things tough, and also do a bit of leaning when I'm having a hard time.

    There are things that annoy me... gossip in the staff room, seemingly endless complaining, rudeness, etc., but I feel constantly encouraged to pray for my school, the staff and students and it's been a huge blessing to see the community come under God's blessings (whether they know it or not).

    I hope one day God guides you to a vocation where you can feel this jazzed about at least some aspects of work.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete